From the 13th century the Lords of Taufers resided here, in all their majesty, as one of the most powerful aristocrats of Tyrol. The dynasty died out in 1340. Then the castle fell into different hands and ultimately threatened to ruins. In 1907 renovations began under Ludwig von Lobmayr.
Since 1977 the castle is in possession of the South Tyrolean Castle Institute .
The Taufers Castle rates among one of the most powerful, beautiful and large castles in South Tyrol.